In reality, very few people actually know exactly what they want to do and how they are going to achieve it.
It is more common for people to make decisions about what to do with their future for all sorts of other reasons – my friends told me I would be good at it, my uncle gave me a job, my father is doing it…..
But to make good decisions about your future career, there are several important steps:
Know yourself well
- Who you are
- What you are good at
- What interests you
- What is important to you
Know about the world of work, and be aware of the opportunities that exist
- Researching different occupations
- Identifying how to get into these occupations
Identify possibilities and take action
Using the information above to work out several possibilities that fit well with who you are and what you are interested in.
Forming a good action plan is critical to successful career planning. This involves establishing goals in the long and short term, and identifying resources and obstacles to be managed.
All this information will allow you to make well informed decisions about your future.
Career Clinic are specialists in using specific exploration techniques, exercises and assessments to help you.
Working with us you will:
- Learn about yourself including your values, interests, skills, personality and other influences that are relevant to your future direction
- Identify possible occupational options and explore relevant information about the current labour market, training options and how the various options will meet your goals
- Narrow down and decide on a career path that is meaningful, realistic and fulfills what is important to you.